Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers

Sunday 8 August 2010

Career vs Family

When I started working, it never cross my mind I would actually be starting a career. I just need a job and fast. Though it did occur to me I have to proof to them I am good at whatever task they throw to me. Why? Because I'm competing with kids 6 years my junior! If I don't perform, they might as well hire someone younger.
After one year of showing them what I'm capable off, I did get the reward I deserved. Perhaps more than what I thought I deserved. So my next target was to find a place closer to home so I can spend more time with my family. And I did mention this to my boss. So, when the half-year review came, she asked me again about my plans. Am I going to go through with it? Being the honest me, I told her it's not easy for me to decide. If I were to change, it would mean less pay and more work. Not necessarily more time at work but definitely more paperwork to handle. And I do have to sacrifice my Saturdays depends on which company I'm going to. So that is not really a good option. The perks is that the office is around 3-5 km from home. And I would end up with less pay than what I'm getting now. A lot less!
This is what she had to say. As a mother and a friend she understands my concern and what motivates me to consider those options. She too have 2 kids about the same age as mine. Being able to send them to school and play time is precious. But as a Manager, she has to be selfish. She doesn't want me to leave and would like to do anything she could to get me to stay. However that does not mean she will force me to stay. She will respect my decision either way. She has plans for me and that plans means more responsibility. Her plans goes more than 12 months for me.
I was a bit stunned and wasn't able to comment anything on that. But I assured her if I am leaving I will not leave her hanging. Besides there are others that are capable to do what I do. The one and only different is I am loud. Hahaha... Seriously. Most of my team mates are not vocal people. Unfortunately for her, I am. I would say what's on my mind and will admit to whatever mistakes I did. She said the most significant trade that I have is that I can take criticism positively. And to her that is one of the most important for someone to be able to further his or herself in an organization.
So now I am torn between family and career. I am still not looking for one. But if I were to be offered with a career plus good reward. Who am I to say no to that? No worries, I still have 2011 to think about it.

1 comment:

ummi said...

as a someone who's currently, temporarily full time housewife, there's huuugggeeee difference in terms of satisfaction menguruskan anak2 sendiri. more time and less stress utk tgk kerja sekolah, more time to have fun depan rumah after asar and more time to cook macam2 meal. albeit not getting salary.

but i still have my maid around so takdelah terkejar2 sangat.