Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers

Friday 9 January 2009

Tips for Stay at Home Moms Going Back to Work - Leslie Godwin, MFCC

From this site.

1. The first thing to do is to be very clear about why you are going to work, what you need to earn, and what schedule will work for you.
I'll be working Monday to Friday, 8.30 am to 5.30 pm. Seems perfect to me.

2. Don't feel that the company who offers you a position is doing you a favor just because you have been out of the workforce a while.
Definitely not. I know I have actually impressed them with my experience and the way I handled the interview even though I was out of the corporate world more then 3 years. (So perasan!)

3. Most moms returning to the work force worry about the gap in their resume.
I actually did worry. How am I suppose to 'sell' myself when all I have been doing is taking care of my children. Then when the interview came, I just realized I was doing management work as well as admin when I was handling the laundry shop. Hahaha!

4. Talk to your spouse and find out what his concerns are.
He requested that I get a job. The main concern? My student loan! Hahaha.. Dang!

5. Talk to your kids.
This one is quite a dilemma. How do you explain to a 3-year-old and 1-year-old that mommy will be leaving them with grandma for maybe up to 10 hours (includes commuting). Not so easy. Especially when the little is still BF.

6. Help is available.
Help is all around us. Thank you for my ever-so helpful MIL. She has been an angel to me and my family. If she can't handle my ever so active kids, there's always nurseries and kindergartens.. Last option, a maid.

7. Practice interviewing with a friend.
Hahaha.. never got the chance to do this. Wish I had.

8. If working outside the home doesn't work, be willing to change jobs, look for work you can do at home, or return to being a homemaker full time.
I pray that I don't have to face this.

No comments: