Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers

Thursday 23 October 2008

BF story

I've read a lot of posts on BF. But I have yet to share my experience in BF my kids. The obvious difference is that I'm a stay-at-home-mother. So there's no need for me to pump. Well, that's not the real reason actually. The story goes this way...
When I gave birth to Imran, it was an unplanned c-section. Even during that moment I have already decided to BF my baby. With full support from Hubby and my dearest mom. There was a bit disagreement on some family members but I try to take it as a challenge. Unfortunately for me though, I did not inform the nurses that I want to BF my baby so Imran's first milk was FM. Sorry sweetheart, I had blacked-out due to the massive anesthetic. Hahaha.. excuses. Anyway, there was not much help from nurses. I was having trouble to BF because neither moms had experience. It took me quite some time until Imran was able to nurse. A couple of weeks actually. I almost quit but Hubby firmly told me not to.
I was in pain due to my swollen breasts. Thank goodness in didn't get worse. I tried pumping but Imran still refuse to drink even from the bottle. Guess it tasted weird. Huuhuh.. When Imran finally agreed to nurse, I was so relieved. When I went back to work, I did left some BM for Imran however it was not enough. And I was not aware that I can pump at work so by the time I reached home my breast was heavy! Hahaha.. Seriously! My mom told me to put cabbage to lessen the swelling pain and I did! Imagine having a piece of cabbage inside your bra. Ahh.. sweet memories that was. Huhuhuh...
Anyway, after I left work, I decided I was too lazy to pump and bottle-feed Imran. Besides, Hubby was having a tough time to wake up in the middle of night. So around 3 or 4 months, Imran decided he has had enough with bottles. Hooray for Hubby!! No more waking up to prepare milk! And I need to learn how to BF lying on my side. From there onwards, Imran was definitely fully BF. Hehehe.. Though I've had some comment that BM is not nutritious enough compared to FM? I just shrugged them off. To me, they have no idea what they're saying.
When I first found out I was pregnant with Hani, my mom already warned me about BF during pregnancy. She adviced me to wean Imran ASAP. Given the fact usually it takes some time to wean a baby. Probably o1 to 2 months. If lucky, a few days or week. Heheh... But I went on BF until I was around 6 months pregnant. During pregnancy, my milk supply was ample enough for Imran. I still have to wear breast pad on daily basis because I was leaking through my t-shirts. Then again he was already on solid food, and MIL has told me to start Imran on formula. So we did. But I still BF during night time. Besides I was busy at the laundry shop during the day.
The weaning stage for Imran was a breeze. I did not expect it to be so quick. I've read about tips to wean but I chose a more friendly way. Haha... Most tips say to use coffee or lemon or lime. But I found it to harsh. I'm already addicted to coffee, I don't my baby to hate coffee. Hahaa.. As for lemon or lime, it's too acidic. Scared it would upset his tummy. Hehehe.. So I decided to use.. PEANUT BUTTER!!!! HAHAHA... I know, I know. What if Imran loves it? Then I'll just use something else. Lucky for me Imran hated it. And it only took me one time to do it. That's right. The next day he was weaned. Kind of put me in a very awkward position because I definitely did not expect it to be that fast. I thought I was giving Imran ample time for weaning. So Imran was weaned at around 22 months old. Almost 2 years.
Then Hani arrived. During confinement, Imran got a flashback because he was crying when I refuse to BF him. When I was being massaged, milk was dripping, and Imran came to me and asked for it. He went berserk when I refuse. You see, I'm not comfortable with tandem nursing. I would've feed him if not for the ladies in the house kept telling it's not his milk anymore, it belong to his sister now. Please don't judge me... Despite me not wanting to tandem nurse, I was feeling guilty for refusing to feed Imran. He was already 2 years old. Heh!
As for Hani, she went through the same ordeal as Imran at the hospital. FM first day, but this time I was prepared. Once I can get up (the very next day of labour), I asked to BF Hani, resulting the unwillingness of Hani to be bottle-fed. Hahaha.. I was so proud of Hani at that moment. She refused to be fed by the nurses. Every time she started to cry, she'll wake up every babies in the nursery so nurses had to stroll her in my room to be fed. Good girl!! I only call them for diaper change. Hahaha...!
And here I am still BF Hani. No idea when to wean. She'll probably wean herself. She tends to drink and eat whatever Imran is having. She was drinking Imran's FM before she turn one. She even refuses BM when she sees Imran drinking from milk from his straw bottle. She's now very good in using straw. She even drinks carton milks. I wonder what what else she'll get from observing her doting brother. Hahaha.. Oh yes, she recognizes Ultraman!

2 comments:

nuhaafnan said...

no one had it easy the first time around right? and having done it before does not necessarily facilitate the next one. but you're doing fantastic. but haha, 1st time knowing someone tried peanut butter, must spread this tip to ppl i know. better than coffee or like what i did, SALT!

anishussein said...

better make sure your baby not allergic to nuts, sweetheart. better yet a peanut butterholic! or I'll be in trouble getting sued by mommies out there! huuhuhuhu...
salt huh? coffee?? yikes!!