Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers

Thursday 14 August 2008

Your side.. My side...

Reading this post from CT's blog reminded me of a situation I saw.

I kinda a forgot when this happened and where, but there was this one elderly lady having conversation with a young mom. Her son was playing quietly when suddenly he kind of lost his temper over something I could not comprehend.
Lady A: Whoa dear! Your son here got quite a temper. I'm sure he did not get that from my side of the family.
Lady B: *was trying to keep herself composed and smiled at Lady A while trying to get her son to calm down.*

I was wondering what exactly Lady A meant by that? I don't even know their relationship but somehow it keeps me wondering. How does someone passed on his or her trait to the next generation? We know all about the medical part. Where some diseases are hereditary. But what about personality? Is it really passed down genetically? Somehow I doubt that.
Then again, maybe I should blame myself for my kids temperament. I do have temper. Asked my friends. They're the ones who boldly told me I need to control my temper back in the univ days. With their help and God's blessing, I managed to control it. I had to find a way to lash out my frustration towards everything. Hahaha... I used to have these terrible mood swings that caused my friends to give up a surprise birthday party and Hubby a hard time to end a very unnecessary argument. I can just get angry at anything. But no more.
However I am afraid if I lose my temper with my kids. I even talked to my MIL about it. She just told me to have patience. Easier said than done. But the best thing that I could do is, once the anger comes, I have to quickly retreat myself and breathe.
Nowadays Imran can really get me working out my temper. He would throw himself on the floor if he wants something. He can easily cry and scream if his demand is not fulfilled. Even Hubby has a hard time to control Imran's temper. And I can see himself controlling his urge to smack this poor kid. Hehehe... Hubby NEVER hits his children. Nor has he been beaten nor punished by his parents. But when you're with the kids 24/7 how do you stay sane? A friend suggest to have a ME-time. Unfortunately it's not something that I can do right now. Hani would be crying herself sick even when I go for a toilet break.
Could it seriously be my fault for passing the temper to my kids? Imran does not hit Hani when he's around me. But her does tends to let out his brutal and controlling side when we're at MIL 's house. Nenek and Atuk would never raise voice towards kids. Unlike me, I will call with a very firm voice and give this one very angry stare. Unfortunely it doesn't work around grandparents. Hahaha!!! I need to find better and more effective way to get Imran to listen to me. Especially around grandparents, granduncles and grandaunties.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aniiisss!!! Ada ke kitorg cakap pape pasal temper dulu? ehehe teringat zaman kat rumah beruang tu hahah

anishussein said...

Ninaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!
huhhhuh... not all of u guys.. ade laa yg ckp.. yeah, been reminiscing the good old univ days.. those years were priceless!!!